What Makes Eucalyptus So Essential?
Check Out The Varied Uses and Benefits of Eucalyptus Including For Natural Skincare
Beautiful, aromatic, soothing, healing…and readily available? Yep, that’s eucalyptus. With its distinctive blue-green-gray color - and either rounded or long oval leaves - the aromatic branches of this amazing plant are familiar to most.
Everywhere on social media you’ll find suggestions to hang the branches in your shower to infuse the steam with eucalyptus oils. Sure, it makes beautiful pics for your social feed, but it also offers real healing and relaxation benefits.
Originally native to Australia, eucalyptus trees are now found all over the world and prized for their medicinal properties. Typically the leaves of the Eucalyptus Globulus variety are dried, crushed and distilled to release the essential oil which is used in many medicinal and skincare products. It's signature minty, slightly menthol aroma is both invigorating and calming.
Like most other essential oils, it’s best to use it diluted in a carrier oil (or as an ingredient) rather than applying pure eucalyptus oil to your skin. You also shouldn’t ingest eucalyptus oil. And if you’re a pet parent, keep eucalyptus - leaves and oil - away from your pets. As much as it’s hugely beneficial for people, it’s not safe for pets.
Health and Well Being Benefits of Eucalyptus
The healing benefits of eucalyptus are extensive. You may be familiar with it in aromatherapy to promote relaxation and stress relief. It also strengthens the overall metabolism, helps with circulation and the immune system, plus it’s an antiseptic, antibacterial, analgesic, antiviral and anti-inflammatory. That makes it one of nature’s great multi-taskers! Here’s a list of many common uses:
- Stress relief
- Reduces mental fatigue and sluggishness
- Improves blood flow to the brain
- Promotes a sense of calm
- Relief from symptoms of cold, cough and sinus congestion
- Often found in cough and cold medications, It reduces inflammation, opens bronchial pathways and helps reduce mucus
- Used in a topical rub, it can help loosen mucus and fight congestion
- Scalp health
- With antifungal and antiseptic properties, it works to fight dandruff
- Promotes blood circulation, provides nourishment and reduces stress which all help hair growth
- Increases moisture content and helps hair to be more lustrous
- Treat wounds and infections
- Soothes pain and swelling
- Antiseptic and antibacterial properties fight infection
- Reduces redness
- Soothe cold sores
- With anti-inflammatory properties, it can help reduce pain and speed healing
- Healing insect bites
- It produces a cooling effect when applied topically and can relieve pain and swelling
- Freshen breath
- It’s antibacterial properties fight the germs that cause bad breath. You’ll find eucalyptus oil as an ingredient in some toothpastes and mouthwashes
- Relieve pain, headaches and sore muscles
- Anti-inflammatory properties work against muscle cramps and soreness by relaxing them
Provides topical relief from headaches and muscle aches by increasing blood flow to the area, reducing inflammation and pain
Eucalyptus Benefits for Natural Skincare
With such a wide range of eucalyptus benefits for skin, it should be no surprise that eucalyptus is an excellent ingredient for topical creams and natural skincare.
Eucalyptus oil helps improve the moisture content in the skin by increasing the ceramide content. Ceramides are the fatty acids that sustain the barrier of your skin, keeping moisture in. Low ceramide levels are associated with dry skin, dermatitis, even psoriasis and eczema.
Of course, the anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of eucalyptus also help reduce redness and fight acne.
That’s why Hälsa Botanicals Breathe CBD Arctic Kelp Facial Masque contains eucalyptus oil. Used weekly, it’s a great way to clean and nourish your skin. In addition to providing the many benefits of eucalyptus, Breathe includes arctic algae, shea butter, lavender, honeysuckle, chamomile and 250 mg of hemp CBD. It's a powerhouse of nutrients to remove toxins, provide moisture and leave skin refreshed and ready for the week ahead.
And eucalyptus in topical form combined with CBD offers particular benefits. Topical CBD effectively penetrates the skin, bringing its own anti-inflammatory benefits. Now that’s an impressive one-two combo!
To tap into the anti-inflammatory and pain relieving benefits of eucalyptus oil, we recommend Hälsa Botanicals Ease CBD Soothing Roller. With arnica, menthol and 1,000 mg of full spectrum hemp CBD as well as eucalyptus oil, it's a powerful formula to soothe tension headaches, sore muscles or everyday aches and pains. All in a pocket sized roller that goes everywhere you do.
Or for a real self care treat, try Hälsa Botanicals Relax CBD Golden Turmeric Bath Salts. We combine a proprietary blend of arctic salts with golden turmeric - long known for anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antioxidant benefits - with a fragrant and invigorating blend of eucalyptus, lavender and frankincense oils, plus 500 mg of hemp CBD. It’s a restful and opulent soak for your body and mind.
With so many ways to enjoy the benefits of eucalyptus, we suggest making it part of your regular natural skincare and body care routine.