Simple Remedies To Get You Moving Again
How many times have you woke up to a stiff neck? Maybe you slept funny or somehow tweaked it, but if you’ve ever had that stiffness or inability to move your neck as usual, you know it’s no fun.
It’s not just sleeping in an awkward position that can cause neck stiffness and pain. Here’s a few other activities that might be the culprit:
- Poor posture, especially when using the computer or phone.
- Everyday stresses and tension, as many of us “carry our stress in our neck”.
- Repeated motion, from manual labor or sports.
- Long drives or even sitting in the same position for a long time.
- Jerking your neck during exercise.
If your neck pain is occasional and fairly minor, chances are it can be relieved in a few days, using the suggestions outlined below.
But if the pain is severe, lasts longer than a few days or you’ve experienced a potentially serious injury, be sure to consult a doctor.
Suggestions for Relieving Minor Neck Pain and Stiffness
For minor, common neck pain, health professionals recommend these simple remedies.
- Rest: Take some time off from any activities that either caused or may aggravate the pain. And when you resume those activities, ease into them to avoid re-injury.
- Ice and heat therapy: For a new injury, start with icing it. For the first 2 to 3 days, apply an ice pack for 20-30 minutes at a time, several times a day. Then move to applying heat, using a heating pad or hot compress. Use the same idea of 20-30 minute intervals throughout the day.
- Gentle stretching: Try a slow range of motion exercises, moving your head up and down, then side to side.
- Over the counter pain relievers: Ibuprofen or acetaminophen can reduce inflammation or provide temporary pain relief.
- Topical over the counter pain relief: Topical products can also soothe and provide targeted temporary pain relief. Look for ingredients like menthol, which provides a cooling sensation and works as a counter-irritant. And there is a growing amount of research about the benefits of CBD for topical pain relief. Hälsa Ease CBD Soothing Roller is easy to apply and provides a combination of arnica and cooling menthol gel, along with 1,000 mg full spectrum hemp CBD and essential oils. Or try Hälsa Comfort CBD Salve with menthol, eucalyptus, lavender and 1,000 mg full spectrum hemp CBD.
Good Practices to Help Avoid Neck Pain
Here’s a few ways to help stave off neck pain. If you can incorporate these into your regular routine, your neck and shoulders will thank you.
- Regular stretches. The same range of motion exercises where you move your head side to side and then up and down to stretch your neck. Roll your shoulders backwards a few times. Squeeze the shoulder blades together.
- Watch your posture. Avoid “text neck” where you’re constantly straining your neck to look at your smartphone. Use good seat posture when working at a desk or using the computer.
- Move around. Avoid sitting or standing in the same position for too long. Take breaks from work or other prolonged activity to stretch a bit or take a quick walk.
We also recommend keeping a Hälsa Ease CBD Soothing Roller in your purse, gym bag or at your desk. It’s a great way to have a little relief on the go.